The properties of zamak, corrosion resistance, and the possibility of producing highly detailed parts make this alloy of zinc, aluminium, magnesium, and copper a material suitable for numerous applications easily found in everyday life. Of all the items we come across daily, handles, knobs and pull handles are three examples that benefit from zamak production.
Locksmithing, construction or carpentry have in common that they are sectors where every detail counts, but not only aesthetically speaking. Finding materials that offer guarantees in terms of strength, corrosion resistance, malleability, or durability is critical to the success of projects.
Zamak handles from hospitality to residential vertical
When we think of handles, knobs or pulls, we think of elements that are present from doors to more hidden nooks and crannies, such as the bathroom drawer; spaces that are very different in terms of technical requirements, utility and even design. In other words, a knob manufacturer or door handle manufacturer cannot just find the right design, but must also select the optimum material.
This is where zamak comes into play. Its strength, adaptability and durability allow handles and locks to be shaped. As well as other locksmith products such as keys and bolts. Zamak allows all these components to be produced with technical guarantees and without renouncing aesthetic criteria for multiple verticals such as hotels, the residential sector or offices.
The advantages of zamak handles
In the industrial environment, zamak has several benefits for many sectors. When it comes to the manufacture of zamak door and window handles, knobs and pulls, we specifically find the following advantages that make the difference in the choice of zamak compared to other metals:
- The suitable alloy: due to its characteristics, zamak can adapt to specific requirements using different alloys. In other words, by varying the proportion of each element, optimum results can be achieved for various applications. Thus, zamak 3 or zamak 5, two of the most common alloys, appear.
- Corrosion resistance and durability: It is a material with a high corrosion tolerance; thanks to this, the parts produced with it increase their useful life. The ability to withstand corrosion is vital in elements such as handles or knobs, which are subjected to environments with very different conditions and continuous handling.
- Versatility in design: zamak is malleable so that it can adopt a variety of shapes and designs, but also of finishes, i.e. the possible styles to offer are multiplied.
- Optimisation and efficiency of resources: compared to other metals or alloys, it is a material that tends to have a better quality-price ratio, which makes it possible to optimise costs.
- Recyclable: although its useful life is longer, once it is out of use, it contributes to sustainability due to its ease of recycling and/or reuse.
The advantages of manufacturing in zamak are also subject to the choice of the appropriate alloy depending on the characteristics of the final product. A task at Jegan is carried out hand in hand between expert engineers and the customer. In addition, it is possible to subject the parts to surface treatments such as zinc plating, nickel plating, chrome plating, painting, KTL, and PVD, among others, which improve the appearance of the part, increase its corrosion resistance or improve the adherence of the paint.
Zamak electronic lock
Electronic locks are security devices that control property access through mechanical keys, which use digital technology to manage opening and closing. It is an element in which strength and durability are significant. Like the more straightforward handles, these types of locks can be manufactured in zamak. In this case, zamak will be the component to be used for the housing or structural components of the lock. Zamak locks meet the necessary security and durability criteria to be considered an excellent alternative to other materials.
The choice of zamak alloy for this type of lock is based on criteria such as mechanics, durability and cost. At Jegan, considering these needs, we manufacture with zamak 5 due to its ability to produce parts with precise details and greater strength. It also allows for easier coating, finishing and machining.
In addition to electronic locks, zamak can be used in internal latches for other locks, such as window handles. The main handle, the mounting plate that attaches to the window, buttons, decorative details, connections, and bolts can all benefit from the properties of zamak 5.
Jegan, designing and manufacturing zamak parts
Opening and closing doors or windows is so common that it is impossible to estimate the number of times it happens daily, so choosing a material with the properties and advantages of zamak can make a significant difference.
At Jegan we consider the requirements, homologation, certifications or quantity of pieces to be supplied. Contact us to solve doubts about production possibilities, specific cases and details about zamak.